Holkham Walled Garden Project
Our aim is to transform Holkham Walled Garden into a delightful heritage venue which is more attractive, accessible and engaging. To create a world-class location where visitors and the local community can explore and enjoy the fascinating history, be inspired by the garden and the many activities that will take place within it.
We aim to:
- Inspire and delight our visitors to the walled garden with a stunning array of flowers, fruit and vegetables. Two new Craft Gardener placements will be created to learn on the job and assist the team.
- Ensure that visitors have an exceptional visit by enhancing facilities including the provision of lavatories, additional seating and shade, accessible pathways for wheelchair and buggy users, plant sales and a simple refreshment offer.
- Ensure that our volunteers are looked after, inspired and enjoy the time they give. Encourage more volunteers with improved facilities, diversified roles, training opportunities and social events.
- Tell the story of the walled garden’s fascinating history through a variety of hands-on, engaging interpretation in both a dedicated indoor space and outside throughout the garden.
- Conserve and restore the historic buildings within the walled garden, including the glasshouses, vinery, bell tower shed, potting sheds and pit houses. Where possible we will utilise these buildings to show traditional Victorian horticultural techniques growing tropical fruit and heritage vegetables.
- Build a new, environmentally friendly, state of the art learning space within the garden, to include a dedicated Learning and Engagement Co-ordinator post.
- Offer an exciting year round programme of events and workshops to suit different ages, interests and abilities.